In 1824 John Pascoe Fawkner built The Cornwall Hotel. It was Launceston's leading hotel with thirteen rooms over 2 storeys. From The Cornwall, Fawkner ran a bakery, became a bush lawyer representing convicts, and started Launceston's first newspaper.
In 1834 Fawkner held the historic meeting at The Cornwall Hotel that led to the settlement of Melbourne. JE Cox took over ownership of The Cornwall in the 1830s and started the first stage coach service between Hobart and Launceston.
The Anti-Transportation Society and the Launceston Municipal Council held their meetings at The Cornwall. In 1960 this included the meeting of the Anti-Transportation Society that led to the end of convict transportation to Tasmania.
The constant need for renovations and repairs had become too much by 1905. The owner, Mrs Sarah Fahey, made the difficult decision to pull down the original hotel to make way for a new building. It was built in the style of the day with Edwardian Freestyle facade, circular motif windows and an ornate parapet. The capacity was also increased to 35 rooms.
On the 16th of November 1981 the historic hotel was renamed the Batman Fawkner Inn. It was a budget inn and backpackers accommodation with 40 rooms.
With a complete modern refurbishment and under new ownership, in 2019 the hotel that had been at the centre of Launceston and its history for so long was resurrected as a boutique hotel. Celebrating the significant past history of the extablishment it was restored to its original name The Cornwall Hotel.